Sunday, November 06, 2005

Mighty nice weather. Too nice.

I've been enjoying this beautiful early November weather. Hard not to, what with afternoon temperatures ten to twenty degrees above traditional norms for these dates, and milder nights as well. But it scares me, too. November should mostly be crisp, with sweaters and jackets needed when first venturing out in the morning, not balmy the way it's been lately.

Looking up the November climatic data for this location, which has been recorded since 1915, I find that most of the low temperature records were set in the first half of the 90 years covered by the archive: cold records for 23 dates were set in the 1950s or earlier, while only seven were set in the 1960s and later -- and none at all in the past twelve years. Like I said, scary. But not chilling. . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you mention this. We've been discussing it, too. Interesting to note: The sun feels hotter when you're out working now. 12-15 years ago, I remember being on the farm, hiding under the little remnants of a shadow cast down by our barn, and staring out into what I thought must be akin to the Sahara Desert. There were mirages in the distance that looked like a fleeting band of wild mustangs. It was around 110 degrees, and we called it quits -- returned to our small home to sit in the shelter of a slightly cooler arena. That same baking feeling you had on your skin when in the direct light of 110 degrees you now get when it's 95-98 degrees outside. Take it from the people who know.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I still wear a jacket in the mornings...and throughout most of the day, but that's because the A/C is always set to arctic around here.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home